The history of the Society goes back to the beginning of the previous century. In fact in the early 1900′s, two Pharmaceutical Associations existed to look after the interests of the pharmacists.
First there was the Penang Pharmaceutical Association. It was based in Penang since most of the pharmacists at that time were in Penang, with a few in Perak, Kelantan, and even fewer in Kuala Lumpur.
Then there was the Straits Pharmaceutical Association based in the Singapore whose members included pharmacists in the Colony of Singapore, and the southern part of the then Federation of Malaya, especially Johore. There were even a few members from Penang.
In 1946 the idea to form a unified Association for both Malaya and Singapore was mooted. The objective was to enable pharmacists to take the same attitude on all pharmaceutical affairs and to present a united front to the Government. It was on 31st May 1949 the name of the Straits Pharmaceutical Association was changed to the Malayan Pharmaceutical Association with 2 Divisions. The Southern Division (previously the Straits Pharmaceutical Association) based in Singapore had pharmacist members mainly from the Colony of Singapore; and the Northern Division (incorporating the Penang Pharmaceutical Association) has pharmacist members from the Federation.
The number of pharmacists at that time was very small. In 1955 it was around 30.
Somehow these dedicated 30 pharmacists managed to be very much involved in the drafting of various Ordinances relating to pharmacists and pharmacy practice. Such Ordinances include: Poison Ordinance, Pharmacists Registration Ordinance, Advertising & Sale of Medicine Ordinance, Dangerous Drug Ordinance.
As an added interest the annual subscription fees at that time was Malayan Dollar 12 a year.
Subsequently after the separation of Malaysia and Singapore, the present Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society was formed and registered with the Registrar of Societies on 6th Nov 1967.
|Some highlights of the Society’s events are:|
|1900s:||Formation of Straits Pharmaceutical Association and Penang Pharmaceutical Association.|
|1949:||Formation of Malayan Pharmaceutical Association with 2 Divisions, with the Northern Division covering the then Federation of Malaya.|
|1967:||Formation of the present Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society on 6th Nov 1967.|
|1979:||Conference of Pharmaceutical Societies in Asean Countries 4th-7th Sep 1979.|
|1989:||Purchase of Society’s premise at Taman Setiawangsa on 18th March 1989.|
|1995:||Signing of Patient’s Charter on 21st Aug 1995 between MPS, MMA, MDA and Fomca.|
|1996:||Signing of MoU between MPS and D&C Bank (now RHB Bank) for affinity credit card for pharmacists on 20th April 1996.|
|1996:||MPS organised its first international conference, FAPA at Shangri-la Hotel, Kuala Lumpur on 17th-21st Nov 1996.|
|1997:||Formation of the First Council of Advisors.|
|1997:||Launch of MPS website on 17th May 1997|
|1997:||First Pharmacy Nite at Radisson Hotel, Shah Alam on 1st Nov 1997.|
|1997:||Conferment of the First Fellow Pharmacists to Tan Sri Datuk Haji Musa Muhamad and Mr. Alex Tan|
|1997:||Conferment of the First MPS-GlaxoWellcome Pharmacist of the Year Award to Mr. John Chang on 1st Nov 1997|
|1998:||Signing of MoU between MPS, BIM and Zurich Insurance Bhd for insurance scheme for pharmacists on 25th April 1998.|
|1998:||Launch of Project 2003 on 21st Jun 1998.|
|1999:||Setting up of criteria for accreditation of Pharmacy Education together with the Pharmacy Board and LAN.|